Everywhere in Strathmashie could be classed as a Nature Walk – there is so much to see at every step. You can also see our other walking page here.
Laggan Forest Trust regularly holds nature events for children and adults. Please see our Events page for details.
For intrepid explorers of school age, (or the young at heart) a back-pack can be hired from Laggan Forest Trust for £3 per day, which will offer a whole new way of looking at our surroundings. To allow you to see things from a distance, or at very close quarters, the pack includes:
- Binoculars - to help you spot birds, deer, or anything else that you can’t get close to.
- Magnifying pot – to let you see mini-beasts at close range, and in detail.
- Pooter – we could make you guess what this intriguingly named and designed item is, but we’ll be kind! It is a jar with two flexible straws leading to and from the pot. The green straw is for you to place over the insect which interests you, and the clear straw is to allow you to gently suck it up, unharmed, into the pot.
- Pond net – use this to sweep through shallow water to see what fascinating creatures are living there. Remember to keep them in water so they don’t die!
- Spoon – use this to handle any mini-beasts you don’t want to touch. It’s helpful for transferring creepy crawlies from the net or pooter into the magnifying pot.
- Explorer Backpack Activity Booklet – lots of information and activities to help you get the most from your exploration of Strathmashie Forest. You can take the booklet home with you as a souvenir, to remind you of what a lot there is to see and do in the forest!
Not just for tiny tots! You can create a micro safari where you ask the brave explorer to imagine they are an ant, having to scale pebbles and stones, which to them are giant mountains or exciting hiding places! Pine needles become giant logs, and beetles seem like terrifying monsters! The only limit is how easily you can bend down to see the exciting world beneath your feet!